ashura

Book Clever

Mostly just my books, but also some reviews (they might contain spoilers, they're imported from GR and don't parse).

I'm an avid reader of all types, but be warned that I mostly enjoy: horror, sci-fi, fantasy, romances and M/M erotica.

Shadow's Edge (Night Angel Trilogy, Book 2)

Shadow's Edge - Brent Weeks Hmm, difficult one to rate. I'm giving it a 3.5, but rounding it on 3 rather than 4, and here's why.(I put a spoiler tag, but I'll try not to spoil it too much)I really like the story in a whole so far, however, the beginning dragged. I get that one's trying to settle him into his new life, but the whole sad-that-I-can't-kill, sad-I-can't-get-laid, etc got tiring and made the start drag endlessly for me.It's not that I don't like angst, but I have a problem with half the book being inner musings of angst from one or another character.Also I usually hate kids in books.Then Garoth Ursuul came along, and I really liked it. He was a great villain, in my opinion. I think he's my favorite character, which is funny given his short lifespan story wise. (Maybe it had to do with me picturing him like my favoritest villains, too.)Logan's story I also loved, it was a bit icky, but I loved it nonetheless. Those two right there made me want to rate it 4.The story with Momma K's girls also was quite touching.But then it flipped back to angst angst angst, boo, I can't kill, boo I can't get laid or everyone rapes me, boo I can kill but now I don't have love, and it just got annoying.Fight wasn't bad, despite the random characters never heard of that suddenly seemed important. The whole deal with Curoch wasn't too bad either though Dorian started getting on my nerves towards the end, too (and he didn't even appear that much). But Garoth was then so. stupid. Which I guess you can forgive since he was feeling overconfident, but also seems to clash with what I understood to be not precisely -that- much of an idiot.I wanted to like Vi, I really did, but nope. She's just your average fantasy girl who succumbs to love even if she's badass.The whole god-questioning was a bit annoying (since book one, not particular to this one), it always makes me feel like they're trying to ram some hidden message down my throat when books mention fights between people's belief in "gods" plain and simple and "The One God" who is the only one getting capital letters.The 'twist' at the end, if it can be called that, was disappointingly stupid (I liked Durzo only just about, but really?)I would have liked to see more of Khali in this book, I'm hoping the next won't disappoint and have her disappear before showing some of her. I liked the glimpses that we were shown.Despite the things I didn't likem I really enjoyed the read and I would definitely re-read it... and skim parts, but re-read it nonetheless.