ashura

Book Clever

Mostly just my books, but also some reviews (they might contain spoilers, they're imported from GR and don't parse).

I'm an avid reader of all types, but be warned that I mostly enjoy: horror, sci-fi, fantasy, romances and M/M erotica.

The Historian

The Historian - Elizabeth Kostova I have to say I'm surprised once again at the amount of bad reviews The Historian got. Perhaps it's because they expected a more horror-based book, which this was not. I also read some vague comparisons with [b:The Da Vinci Code|968|The Da Vinci Code (Robert Langdon, #2)|Dan Brown|http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5192EEE0STL._SL75_.jpg|2982101], which I can see on the matter that they both seem to be scholarly/research based books; though personally, I loved The Historian while I couldn't even stand reading past the first chapter of [b:The Da Vinci Code|968|The Da Vinci Code (Robert Langdon, #2)|Dan Brown|http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5192EEE0STL._SL75_.jpg|2982101].As for my personal opinions on The Historian, I found the book fascinating. It's certainly not a horror book, although it does have it's moments of tension. I was very fond of the style of writing, and found most descriptions (although sometimes a little too long near the end) only added to the charm of the book, it made me feel like I was truly traveling right there with them. I was so into the book that I almost felt disappointed to reach the center of my copy and not find a print of the infamous dragon.Now, I admit, (and here be spoilers... )Dracula's whole apparent idea of blissful afterlife by having a massive library (cataloged), and giving clues to find his final resting place -while not wanting them to find his final resting place- was indeed a little "huh?" inducing. The ending was a little bit disappointing in that sense. It was also required quite a bit of imagination to get past the fact that everyone seemed to remember years and months-old conversations word by word well enough to reproduce them in their letters, without taking (or hardly taking) notes.But all the same, the whole research and investigation, the letters, etc., they were all fantastic and certainly, in my opinion, made up for those points I found weak.